Why Germany?
It's sad that I become hesitant to tell people that I am going on a mission trip to Germany. The response is almost always the same. "Why Germany?" or "Wow...that's some real suffering for God's work.", said with a wink and smile. If I was telling people that we were going to a third world country, I'd probably get some genuine empathy and admiration for the guaranteed, dramatic life changing experience that would ensue. I know that my friends, who are now full-time missionaries in Africa, have certainly left everything they know as normal here in the States to live without much of the luxuries they were used to. They see death, abuse and horrific circumstances that poverty and violence have left in their wake.
We see beautiful scenery, amazing architecture...cathedrals and castles surround us. We eat great food and sleep in warm beds. We come into contact with people who are living their lives with no concern of what comes after death. We see child after child that won't hear the story of Jesus from their parents or a caring Sunday School teacher. We feel sadness...heavy darkness...as we travel by train and by foot. I can't really describe the feeling, but maybe these videos will help you to understand why it's important for us to go to Germany each year for as long as God is calling us to it.
Below are two videos that Steven and Susan Jett had made to give the story of Bruehl, Germany. In the first video, you will see two people being interviewed. Both are neighbors of the Jetts and neither know Christ. The second video contains interviews with members of the church plant that we support when we travel to Germany.
Aaron and I are passionate about Germany, because God designed us that way, just as God designed my niece Lilli to be passionate about human trafficking, and our friends to have a heart for Africa. None is less important to God. However...I'm often left to feel that way.
Light for Bruehl part 1 from Steven Jett on Vimeo.
Light for Bruehl part 2 from Steven Jett on Vimeo.
No comments:
Post a Comment